A venue for sharing experiences and ideas concerning community volunteer work .

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tipped Semi causes trouble to foot traffic

...as I was saying, on September 20...
     Confused students waiting at the University bus stop had to walk up a hill and around many emergency vehicles that were figuring out how to up-right a mostly-fallen semi truck and trailer. I was asked to tell those waiting that the school shuttle and city buses were unable to come to the bus stop so the riders would need to walk up to the next corner for a lift. I did as I was asked. While I walked away from the area towards the building, I told everyone that I passed that if they needed the bus they would need to...blah blah blah.
     When I got to the parking area toll booth I knocked on the window. The employee opened the window and I explained the situation, suggesting she make a sign or call her boss to let people know of the dilemma that would cause busing problems for at least an hour. she shrugged her shoulders, said, "wow, that's weird," and did nothing about it. So, since I was now 50 minutes late to my 90 minute class, I walked back to the bus stop, got out a piece of paper and pen, wrote a note, used my wet gum to stick the note to a post, and proceeded extremely late to class. 
     This tidbit of "service" caused me to miss a quiz in my class. Because of my kindness, the professor was kind to me and let me take the quiz after class.
     I didn't go back to my car via shuttle so I didn't see how that all worked out. But I wonder if anyone ever took on the task of communicating the busing problem to the constant flow of students walking to and waiting at the bus stop.     

I'd love to hear from you!
Do most people think only about themselves?
Do you ever wonder what your day would be like if someone other than you considered your needs?

Do most people drop their trash on the floor and walk away?
Do you ever notice someone picking up something that is not theirs, to put it away or throw it away?

Do most people assume that the tasks that need doing, that they are asked to do but turn down, will get done by some magical task fairies?
Do you ever wish more people would put their name on the sign-up sheet so you didn't have to do the entire project alone? 
What blocked lanes have you come across that you felt the need to help clear? 
When have you been inconvenienced and were forgiven by a third party for the time it took you to give assistance?

~ E T

No comments:

Post a Comment