A venue for sharing experiences and ideas concerning community volunteer work .

Thursday, December 6, 2012

To My Three Loyal Viewers

So, I know what you're thinking... Why did I ask you to look at my blog if I didn't even keep it current?  Where are the fresh jokes?  Where have I volunteered lately?  What is the point of this blog?  How long will this blog be operational?  Have I actually come down with a fever and strep throat?  What TV shows would I watch if I watched TV at all?  Have I made any money with this site?  How do I get caught up in all of these volunteer assignments?  What hat am I going to wear to school today? 

Because I love you so much, and you took the time to type into my site with high hopes of finding something new, I will answer some of your questions. Right here! Right now!
Why did I ask you to look at my blog if I didn't even keep it current? I asked you to look at my blog so I would have the joy of seeing the number of viewers go up and up to the double digits. I set up my blog in anticipation that I would enjoy the writing outlet and design creativity. That excitement all ended by my third post. I can't make it look like I want it to look. I can't figure out how to make archives of things I want to save or links I want to refer to. There are too many spaces between paragraphs or the font is wrong...it does not look the same in draft mode as it turns out for viewers to see. But most of all, my enthusiasm dropped because I chose to write about a subject that is boring to 80% of the human race. ("Scientific studies" show that 20% of the people do 80% of the work. This is particularly true, if not more so, of volunteer work.)


Where are the fresh jokes?  Will you settle for a couple of old jokes?
   Chuck Norris can count to infinity - twice.
   If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris. 


Where have I volunteered lately?  Great question!  : )    
  • FUND RAISER: My most recent volunteer experience was for about an hour at the very small and unprofitable Gingerbread House Festival in a tiny corner of the mall. I made price tags for the donated merchandise. Wow-wie! Such talent! (This event deserves its own post. Coming soon to a blog near you.)
  • PTSA: I was the chairman of the high school Reflections program. (This is a "contest" for fine arts students. They are given a topic selected by the national PTA, then they create something that implies the theme, the entries are judged, prizes are given, and the "winners" move on to a new division of "competition". Why the quote marks? Because it is not to be called a contest and the top scoring entries are not to be called winners. This is a PROGRAM, with the favored entries given an Award of EXCELLENCE.) Anyway, my part in all of this was to... do... everything (advertise via school teachers and hall posters, gather entries, find judges, tally points, order and pick up awards, coordinate an awards evening, MC said evening, return entries not moving on, and deliver EXCELLENT art work to the council chair.) I realize that this sounds like the work of a committee, if not small army, and I would agree! With over 230 participants, the paperwork alone can be/was overwhelming. But for a person that is not good at delegating it becomes/became a one-man/wo job. By the end I did have a couple of friends join in the fun. This two-month-long project almost sucked the joy-of-living right out of me, leaving very little for school work or family time.
  • CHRISTMAS CONCERT: The American Fork Arts Council sponsors two adult musical performance groups- The American Fork Symphony and The Wasatch Winds. Both are volunteer groups with members from anywhere in Utah County. I played (percussion) with both groups in the past. Recently I have been too busy with school, so instead of going to rehearsals I agreed to be the ticket-sales manager. Instead of two hours a week, this only takes two hours every-other month. Last week was my second concert as "sales manager": I got to the school auditorium early, found a table, covered it with a tablecloth, the cash box, and my homemade price sign. A couple of other "work for free" people showed up to sell the tickets. I enjoyed the concert. At the end of the evening, I counted the money, gave the cash and box back to the "house manager", brought my tablecloth home, and saved the ticket sign to use at the next concert.  
All other questions will need to wait for answers in future posts. It is now time for me to take a small gingerbread house to UVU for their contest (yes, contest). I did not make this house, I bought it at a fund raiser. But they need more entries for their contest to be a decent size. A question now for you: Should I tell them that I bought it?


TTFN~ ET

2 comments:

  1. This entire post made me laugh. out. loud. :) You rock. And your volunteering does too!
    I recently volunteered to help at my son's scout meeting because they needed another adult. and I cancelled 20 minutes before because my daughter threw up. Zero points for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes volunteers can be so unreliable! ;) jk
    In this case, it's the thought that counts. You can't predict the unpredictable. At least she wasn't with you at den mtg when she threw up. That would be, as they say, awkward!

    ReplyDelete